XNA Game Studio 4.0 Fact Sheet
XNA Game Studio 4.0
XNA Game Studio 4.0 is a set of software tools that will be used by developers to create games for Windows Phone 7 Series. This updated version of XNA Game Studio will allow game developers to create better mobile games faster by providing:
- Power: XNA Game Studio 4.0 includes powerful audio and graphics tools that allow developers to create all types of games, from casual 2-D games to 3-D games with high-quality graphics.
- Productivity: XNA Game Studio 4.0 is a managed code platform, which means that Microsoft has done the back-end work that will save developers time in the coding process. It allows developers to be more productive and focus on gameplay and design.
- Portability: XNA Game Studio 4.0 makes it possible for developers to adapt games built on previous versions of XNA Game Studio to work on Windows Phone 7 Series without re-coding the entire game. Also, once a developer has created a Windows Phone 7 Series game, they can use some of that code in XNA Game Studio 3.1 to adapt that game for Xbox 360, Windows or Zune.
- Pedigree: Microsoft has invested in XNA Game Studio for the past four years to make it one of the most comprehensive and trusted tools for developers. There have been over 1 million downloads of previous versions of XNA Game Studio since its initial release in December 2006.
XNA Game Studio 4.0 will be available in the coming month, so get ready to jump on board!
Game Development on Windows Phone 7 Series
Windows Phone 7 Series is a whole new approach to phone software, distinguished by smart design and truly integrated experiences. It offers users new ways to find and play games, including:
- The games hub. The games hub will contain all the games an individual has acquired through the Windows® Phone Marketplace. We are partnering with a select group of publishers to create great Xbox LIVE games for the games hub. The Xbox LIVE features include the ability to:
- Collect Achievements and build your Gamerscore
- View Xbox LIVE leaderboards
- See your Xbox LIVE Avatar
- Access Spotlight feeds
- Add Xbox LIVE friends to your friends list while out on the go
- The marketplace hub. Windows Phone 7 Series includes the Windows® Phone Marketplace, where apps and games will be sold. Both independent and professional developers can offer games as apps via Marketplace, giving consumers a wide array of games to choose from.
More information on game development for Windows Phone 7 Series is available on XNA Creators Club Online and on Michael Klucher's Blog, which discusses game design and development using XNA Game Studio. For press inquiries, please contact [email protected].
I'm Skeptical that you could,
Yet intrigued that you may. - Dale Gribble